Tuesday, June 17, 2014

9 Weeks


Oh, phew.  The little peanut (who looked more like a T-Rex today with tiny arms and legs) looked great today and was measuring on track at 9 weeks and 4 days with a heart rate of 176 bpm.  It was moving all around, which was just incredible to watch.  I will never stop being in awe of something so miraculous happening inside my body.  I was particularly nervous about this week's ultrasound... I'm not sure why, but I slept terribly last night and the appointment couldn't have come quickly enough.  My husband hasn't been coming to each of my weekly ultrasounds (which is totally fine), but this morning my dear friend was in the office for her 34 week visit so she came to the ultrasound and held my hand, which was so comforting.

So, one more week down  in the first trimester as we inch closer to the big 12-week scan and the MaterniT21 test, both of which will happen on July 3rd.

I'm separately having some trouble wrangling doctors and trying to decide who will monitor me throughout pregnancy when it comes to my clotting.  I saw a MFM who I love, but she is in an entirely different hospital system than my OB and the high-risk OB we will see.  It is fine to have the MFM outside of my hospital system for now, but if we make it further along in the pregnancy, it will complicate things and I think there is a risk in having so many doctors involved leaving no one ultimately "accountable" for making decisions.  That said, the high-risk OB wants to be less aggressive with my Lovenox dosing (for clotting), which I don't like.  We'll obviously just figure this out, but I'm feeling a bit stressed about it right now with so many moving parts, coordinating test results and getting them sent to the right place, etc.  My past medical experiences have taught me that I have to advocate for myself so I'm just trying to do that as much as possible.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! 9 weeks is a huge deal. I would stick to your gut instinct about the lovenox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candace. I am trying to stick to my gut but without wounding too many doctor egos... they seem to be quite fragile and I still want these people on my side through everything. I also don't want too many proverbial "cooks in the kitchen." We have a sit down with the high risk OB at 12 weeks and hopefully we can work out a plan then. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Yay for a great u/s!! I am sorry the high risk ob will not be as aggressive as you would like. What does your OB think? My OB actually increased the lovenox I was taking over what the RE had me on so maybe the OB can be your advocate ? Hope you can get it figured out without having to jump through too many hoops!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie. My OB seems to want to just go with whatever the MFM of high-risk OB wants and she likes both docs -- she just doesn't want to complicate things down the road, which I get. I'm not a doctor, but I just would prefer to err on the side of a little more Lovenox than a little less and be overly careful.

      I just read Ethan's story on your blog and have tears in my eyes. The pain of such a loss is so unbearable. I am so happy for you that you are so far along in another healthy pregnancy. I look forward to following your journey.

      Delete
  3. Yay!!! So happy all is good with baby! Your little T-Rex is adorable :) I will be saying lots of prayers for your upcoming tests in a few weeks. As for the high risk OB, I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion? I agree with you, you need to be your own advocate, and you have good reason to want to stay on top of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I might get another opinion... we used to live in Boston and it is in times like this that I wish we still lived there where we had several of the world's best hospitals within 10 minutes and all of the accompanying amazing medical professionals from whom we could choose.

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS