Tuesday, October 21, 2014

27 Weeks, 4 Days

It's all uncharted territory at this point.  I delivered L at 26 weeks and a 3 days, although we already knew that we had lost her.  You all know I've been a bit stressed out the last few weeks as we got through the time period when everything fell apart with L... not that there is any correlation between that time period specifically and the likelihood of me clotting again, but it certainly existed in my head.

Writing or speaking about positive aspects of this pregnancy worries me because I fear jinxing everything, but I'm going to do it today in an effort to be optimistic and rational.  
  • I saw my vascular surgeon last week and had full ultrasounds on both legs and my stent (located in my IVC). My veins and blood flow look great and my stent is open and in place.   Phew.
  • I passed my glucose test last week with flying colors.  Woo!  I didn't really think it was that bad?!  The drink didn't taste good, but I just drank it as quickly as possible and then went in for an ultrasound. 
  • My Anti XA level dropped to the border between therapeutic and prophylactic.  I have to stay comfortably in a therapeutic range, so I am bumping up dosages again.  My high-risk OB manages this and reminds me that this is normal as blood flow increases from pregnancy and I gain weight, but my regular OB also told me she has never had a patient on as much Lovenox as I am on (100 mg, 2x day).  It worries me a little bit, but I try not to think about it (and I do look forward to the day when I no longer have to take blood thinners).
  • Babies measurements are all back on track and comfortably around the 50th percentile.
In non-medical good news, my in-laws visited last week and are now gone (their visits stress me out quite a bit), and I spent last weekend with my college roommates, which was just wonderful.  We see each other once a year and getting to catch up and talk about life and just have fun together is a highlight of every year.  I also have one last work trip this week and then will officially be done traveling.

So... the third trimester is just a few days away, which I can hardly believe, and I have allowed myself several moments of thinking that things might just be different this time.  It terrifies me to have these thoughts, but every night when this baby kicks away and each week that I creep closer to being full-term, I hope and pray and sometimes allow myself to believe that things will be different.  We'll see.

I had an ultrasound yesterday and have to share this 3D face image that I just love.  Holy baby!  My husband says she has my nose!  

Oh, and one funny thing that happened last week.  I traveled to San Diego for work and when I was waiting in the security line in San Diego, a TSA agent offered me a WHEELCHAIR.  He was very sweet and wanted to be sure I was okay, but I got all flustered - How bad do I look if apparently I appear to need a wheelchair?  Do I look like I need a wheelchair?  I'm still running - I hope I look like I can survive a security line.  Anyway, it cracked me up and I kindly declined his offer.  

10 comments:

  1. So great to hear the good news! I'm sure it's hard to accept it sometimes but it is just as real as the fear. That baby face is adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good way to think about it - good news is just as real as the fear. And it is easier and a lot more fun to be optimistic than scared. Thanks for that reminder. And I think she is pretty darn cute, too.

      Delete
  2. So glad to read your good news. Please don't be afraid of jinxing this - if we are able to be sad and angry at the bad events, we should also be able to rejoice and be happy. And this is good. Continuing to keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Of course you are right... for some reason I don't feel like being sad and angry has any impact on the "universe," but that being happy and rejoicing in the good just might. Obviously this is irrational. Thanks for thinking of me - I'm doing the same for you.

      Delete
  3. I like the comment above - if we can be sad and angry, we can also be happy and rejoice - enjoy it while you can. You deserve that.

    And that ultrasound - she's pretty! I mean, really! 27 week ultrasound and you can already tell that she's pretty! Crazy. (I'm sure she's smart and kind and things far more important than pretty as well, but yeah - cute babe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - Caroline, your comment cracked me up, in the best way. I am biased, but I, too, think she looks pretty cute. I cannot wait to meet her. Obviously I am also hoping for smart, kind, etc., too!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to see this update! I know exactly what you mean about feeling optimistic and scared it will jinx something. Praying it will all continue to go smoothly this time around for both of us!

    I just love your 3D ultrasound images. Our little man is getting so big it's hard to get a good image of him anymore and my doctor office doesn't do 3D ultrasounds. I've thought about paying for one, but feel silly doing it when I get a regular ultrasound at every appointment and I'm going so frequently now. Seems like a waste of money.

    Continuing to keep you and your little girl in my prayers hon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying for the same thing for both of us... I don't know about you, but I'm pretty anxious for November to pass quickly (like October did).

      This was one of the first good 3D images we've been able to get because she is usually blocking her face with her hands and feet! I wouldn't go out of my way to get one (most of the images end up looking a little creepy to be honest), but my doctor just does them at each appointment and I don't complain :)

      Thanks for keeping us in your prayers and I am doing the same :)

      Delete
  5. I don't blame you for feeling nervous around this time. it is perfectly understandable! Oh that 3D ultrasound image…so sweet! love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessah. I keep looking at that image over and over.... I really am hoping the next 2 months fly by!

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS