Monday, April 23, 2018

Sugar & Spice


I am thrilled to share that we welcomed a healthy, screaming, beautiful baby girl on Monday, April 16th at 8:41 AM.  She weighed 7 pounds, 11 ounces and is perfect.  She has a head full of dark hair like her sister and as I type this, she is resting on my chest and I am pausing to kiss her head every 30 seconds or so.

Is it just me or do newborns smell divine?  There may not be a better scent than that of a newborn baby.

Despite big sister B's requests to call her Latte Shop, Coffee, Stop Sign, and Canopy, we have named her Claire.

My c-section was mercifully uneventful. Unlike when B was born, I walked myself into the OR, got a spinal/epidural combo, had some moments of feeling absolutely terrible and like I was about to pass out, which were fixed by some sort of concoction the anesthesiologist gave me by IV, and then we started.  I was prepared with a Spotify mix called C-Section Tunes that will most certainly go viral (ha), and Claire was born to the song "Show me love" by Robyn, which seems fitting.

Our journey to have babies started almost exactly five years ago.   Since then, I've had five pregnancies, two miscarriages, one stillborn daughter, and two incredible blessings in Baby B and Baby C.  I've been staring out the window at the spring blossoms on the trees remembering spring of 2013 when I thought I'd never have a child... and remembering spring of 2014 when Q had just died and I couldn't fathom feeling happy again... and spring of 2015 when I had B in my arms and was so filled with joy... and spring of 2016 after my first miscarriage when I realized how much I wanted to have another child... and spring of 2017 when we were in Japan and I'd had yet another miscarriage and was doing my best to stay positive, get healthy, and enjoy our travels amidst sadness, disappointment, and even some anger.

And here we are.  Thanks for following along on our journey.

(By the way, it was so fun to be surprised by the gender.  I was convinced we were having a boy and I'll never forget Rob's voice saying "It's a girl!"  More on the actual birth in my next post.)


14 comments:

  1. Oh happy day! Congratulations! Beautiful baby and beautiful name. Laughing at B’s suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was really hung up on Latte Shop for awhile and when she met Claire in the hospital she repeatedly told us "That is not her name. I picked out a different one, but I'm not ready to tell you yet." Toddlers!

      Delete
    2. AJ wanted to call her baby sister “Cleveland”. We were like, how did you even come up with that? (Probably Finding Dory)

      Delete
    3. That's hilarious. Cleveland of all places!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations what a journey it is has been to bring you to an amazing desitation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, the destination is incredible. My OB has repeatedly said that she wishes we had known what the outcome would be 5 years ago, even if we couldn't know how we would get there. It is perplexing how life works out sometimes (and other times doesn't).

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I'm so happy and relieved for you! She's gorgeous, and I love her name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can’t wait to read more. More. I’m so glad there’s more. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Welcome to baby Claire. I hope you are well and enjoying getting to know this beautiful little gal.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS