Friday, May 30, 2014

Return to Zero


26,000 stillbirths occur each year in the United States alone.  With a staggering statistic like that, I'm always amazed that prior to losing L, I didn't know anyone who had experienced stillbirth or even mentioned a friend / family member who had.  That's just one of the reasons I think a film like "Return to Zero" is so very necessary.

"Return to Zero" is a movie that just premiered on Lifetime about a couple who experience a stillbirth with their first child.  I had DVRed the movie when it premiered, but hadn't felt up for watching it until last night... and I am so glad that I did.  The films writer, director and producer, Sean Hanish, and his wife experienced a stillborn baby, which prompted him to write this script.  You can read an interview with him about the movie here and read his perspective on their loss here.

The movie touched on so many things that I think everyone experiences with a stillbirth.... all of the questions about what to do with your baby that you never thought you'd have to answer (holding him/her, funeral services, delivery, etc.), the awkward comments from people, the fact that friends are scared to see you and don't know what to say, the terrible depression that can occur afterward, how hard it is on your marriage, how terrifying the idea of being pregnant again is... I could go on and on.  I love Minnie Driver and thought she did a tremendous job playing the woman who loses her son.

I mentioned to my husband that I thought this was an important film for people to see so they could have some perspective.... he didn't necessarily agree with me and felt like, had this not happened to us, we most certainly wouldn't be watching this movie.  He may be right that we wouldn't seek out a movie like this, but I do think it makes one more compassionate and understanding.

There is also a book inspired by the film that I ordered but have yet to read called Three Minus One. Has anyone read it?  I'm planning to start reading it this weekend.  Has anyone else seen the movie?  What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more that this movie is so necessary! I too recorded it the night it premiered, but I haven't been able to watch it yet. I'm waiting for a night when I'm feeling strong enough to get through it. My husband doesn't want to watch it. When I told him about it, he said, there's no way I'm watching that with you. I think he just can't handle bringing back all the memories, so I'll be on my own watching it. Praying this movie does reach more than just us survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about the movie making me feel really sad and awful again, but it really didn't... do let me know when you watch. My husband didn't watch with me this time, but he came home midway through the movie and said he does want to watch it with me at some point.

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS