Tuesday, October 17, 2017

12 Weeks

Today was the 12-week ultrasound where nuchal translucency, etc. is checked and I had blood drawn for the MaterniT21 test.  The ultrasound looked great - baby was moving around, putting its hands/fingers in its mouth, etc.  R came with me and this was the first thorough u/s he has attended, which was fun.  My OB sends patients to the high-risk OB at 12 weeks and 20 weeks (and I go to have clotting monitored) so today we met with the high-risk OB who talked us through options for prenatal genetic testing.  We'll start with the MaterniT21 and go from there, but of course my history of POF, infertility, and miscarriage, I want to know everything that we can, but I do not want to take any unnecessary risks (e.g., amnio).  When they say that, statistically, it is very safe, I know that is true rationally.  But I've been at the wrong end of very good odds several times, so I no longer am comforted by slim chances.

Here's a little shot of our little one.  R and I are considering being surprised this time.  Thoughts? Have any of you waited?


Anyone up for a little bathroom talk?  B used the toilet (unprompted) numerous times over the weekend and woke up Monday morning and told me she wasn't wearing a pull up to school.  We went with it and she was accident free all day and pooped on the toilet three times (good lord).  I guess if you wait long enough, your child will potty train herself?  I know there will still be accidents, but she does seem to be doing really well, particularly at school.  I'm sure it helps that her classroom is children ages 2.5 through 3.5 so she is at the younger end and most are toilet trained and thus set a good example for her.

I'm still in a state of disbelief about things. I haven't told my parents and I've told only a few close friends.  My slightly protruding belly is going to start giving things away in a few weeks, though, and I have no idea how I will broach this topic at work.

10 comments:

  1. I am 36 weeks pregnant with our little miracle baby after being diagnosed with POF at age 26 and being told by many many doctors that donor eggs were our only chance. Because this pregnancy is SO precious to us, and it took us such a long time to get here, we decided to be surprised by the sex. Honestly, it's so fun! We've both had very strong feelings of 'boy' the whole time and often refer to the baby as 'he', however we really have no idea and I love that. I cannot wait to meet this little one in 4-6 weeks and find out what gender is in there. Also, knowing this very well might be my only pregnancy ever, it's added that extra fun/surprise element to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Amber. What good news for you and you are so very close!

      Delete
  2. Yay for a good scan! That is the cutest ultrasound photo; unusual to see so many details of the body. I think having a example makes a huge difference for potty training. I’ve heard parents tell how older siblings basically taught younger ones. Made me kind of jealous but I hope it’s true especially since we’ll have two girls. As for being surprised I think it’s sweet; I want to know but I can see how it could be fun. After all you’ve been through I think do whatever the heck you want to make this process as enjoyable as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby was very good and showed us all of its hands and feet and let us get a good view :) It was so fun. Hopefully your next time around potty training will just be taken care of by AJ and you can just relax and watch. And maybe we'll be able to as well.

      Delete
  3. I so happy this babe is growing well and looking nice and healthy.
    We waited on the sex with mary. We knew with cale and Finn so the fact that Mary was a girl made it all the more special and fun. Totally recommend waiting! Plus I think it helps add a fun excitement to what is a very stressful and anxious time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline. Me, too. I didn't realize you waited to find out with Mary. How fun.

      Delete
  4. Great milestone and adorable photo! We chose to be surprised and I'm so happy we were. Prior to infertility I knew I wanted to be surprised, so it was one way of keeping one of my original plans. I really had no idea and the night before my scheduled C/section I could imagine the announcement going either way. So many people said "Oh, I'd be so impatient" but I actually found it was very relaxing to go through the pregnancy no knowing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you describe waiting makes it seem so fun. I, too, will have a scheduled c-section so there won't be the surprise element of "when will the baby arrive." I'm pretty excited about waiting.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad things are going well! Fingers crossed that it continues this way!
    SB declared one day this spring (at 2.5) she was done with diapers. It was hours before I left for a conference, and H didn't feel up to the task, so we told her to please keep using them until the next weekend. She only grudgingly accepted diapers after that (at least at home), and from the next weekend on she was diaper-free - with accidents here and there, sure, but overall I'm really glad how this worked out. At daycare they kept insisting on putting diapers on her for naps. She changed to kindergarten in August [here, kindergarten starts at 3, so it's more like preschool] and is now fully diaper-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your toilet training experience. After trying the "boot camp" approach the first time, I am relieved at how much less stressful this method is (that is, if waiting for your child to initiate is a "method"). B has had a few accidents here and there and some days are worse than others, but generally it has been great.

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS