Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tracking Tools

I've always been obsessed with tracking data.  Back before we were TTC, I was an avid marathoner and triathlete (and I'll get back to both of those things someday).  In those days, I loved my Garmin Forerunner (and still do - I'm just moving more slowly and less often these days).  Instead, I'm tracking all sorts of things using a few favorite online tools and apps.  Does anyone have any tools that they particularly like and find helpful?

 Fitbit - A few friends using these convinced me how great they are.  After almost a month of use, I couldn't agree more.  I'm obsessed!  I got the Fitbit One Wireless Activity + Sleep Tracker (I didn't want to announce to the world that I was tracking my steps by wearing a bracelet) and I love tracking my steps and activity.  I'm not using it for sleep tracking, but it certainly motivates me to keep moving and to get outside for some exercise.  You can challenge your friends who have one and see how many steps they've taken -- I'm easily motivated by competition!  This article offers good reviews of other personal fitness trackers.

Ovia Fertility Tracker - Since we are back to TTC and are currently waiting to start IVF (I need to have 2 natural cycles before we can start), I've been using Ovuline.  You record your BBT, cervical mucus, mood, exercise, symptoms, fertility monitor and pregnancy test results and the app aggregates it for you to tell you when your most fertile days are.  You can also track your food consumption (I find this to be a great motivator for healthy eating) and intercourse.  Ovuline has an easy to use app that allows you to record this data in a discrete way - and if you use a Fitbit or a number of other devices, they automatically sync with Ovia.  I know other versions of this (Fertility Friend, Glow) -- has anyone used another one that they love?

Fertility Friend - This tool is similar to Ovia, but it provides additional options that Ovia does not (e.g., fertility monitor, IUI, IVF, ART meds).  I think the BBT chart is much easier to read on this app than it is in Ovia, too.  And I signed up for the VIP membership, which provides access to a number of advanced features that I really like.

Goodreads - This one has nothing to do with fertility or health, but instead reading.  I love being able to look back and see what I've read in the past few years and to see what friends are reading.  It's the first place I go when someone recommends a book so I can see what others have thought and to add the book to my "to read" list.  My only complaint is that you can't have a "secret" bookshelf - I don't like to advertise to all of my Goodreads friends that I have read so many fertility books, so I don't end up tracking those.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS